As an adult, you are perhaps much less likely to be called “metal mouth” or “brace face” by others if you seek to correct your smile with traditional metal braces. However, many grown men and women are still uncomfortable with the aesthetic compromises required by braces that rely on metal brackets and wires. Fortunately, modern dentistry offers a solution that can gradually straighten almost any smile without anyone knowing besides you and your cosmetic dentist. Here is everything you need to know about Invisalign clear braces.
How Invisalign Straightens Your Smile
Just like traditional braces use metal wires and brackets to gradually move teeth into the desired position, Invisalign achieves the same result using a series of clear, custom-made plastic aligners. The aligners are shaped to gently pressure your teeth into a straighter smile of the course of several months.
Invisalign can correct nearly all common teeth-straightening and bites issues, including:
- Crooked teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Protruding or overcrowded teeth
- Mild overbites or underbites
Best of all, Invisalign’s crystal clear design means your friends, family and coworkers will not even notice when you are wearing your aligners!
How to Maintain Your New Smile
Here are a few tips for during and after Invisalign treatment to help ensure success. During treatment, be sure to:
- Wear your Invisalign aligners for the required daily time – typically 20 to 22 hours a day.
- Change each new set of aligners as advised by your dentist – typically every week or every other week.
After successfully completing your personalized Invisalign treatment, keep your new smile healthy and whole by:
- Wearing a retainer to prevent teeth from shifting back into their original position.
- Continuing to brush twice a day and floss at least once daily. Switch to a sensitive toothpaste if your teeth feel a bit sensitive after Invisalign treatment.
- Visiting your dentist every six months for regular checkups and cleanings.
Am I a Good Candidate?
Invisalign clear braces are an excellent solution for adults or teens who want to straighten their teeth without the hassle of traditional metal braces, especially those who:
- Have a busy schedule and find it difficult to keep up with orthodontic appointments
- Wish to maintain a professional or cosmetic appearance while straightening their teeth
- Are allergic to the metal used in traditional braces
- Have sensitive teeth or gums and would be extremely irritated by traditional braces
You don’t need to affix metal wires and brackets to your teeth to achieve the straight smile of your dreams. Invisalign clear braces can help perfect your smile without interrupting your daily life or compromising your physical appearance!
About the Author
With more than 25 years of experience, Dr. Richard Cea has the skills and the knowledge to deliver exceptional dental care to patients in Colorado Springs. He knows the importance of a straight smile, which is why Invisalign clear braces are offered at Springs Dental Care. For more information about the modern alternative to conventional braces, contact Dr. Cea via his website or by calling the office at 719-637-1772.